Berry Oat Muffins

I tried a Blueberry muffin recipe the other day, and was sorely disappointed.
Why I thought any recipe could top the one I already had, from my mom, I don't know!!

That was a moment of foolishness that I'll share with you openly, just don't expect me to tell you this kind of thing very often. And to think I was baking these in front of friends!  Sheesh.  Talk about embarrassing.

Moving on.

I may not have the prettiest pictures or the most entertaining writing style, but I can make a killer muffin.

Raise your hand if you agree.

Thanks.  I knew I liked you.


Berry Oat Muffins
Yields: 2 1/2 Dozen
Preheat oven to 400*
Bake for 17-20 minutes


2 Beaten Eggs
1 1/2  c Brown Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 c Melted Butter
2 c Oatmeal
2 c Flour
2 c Vanilla Yogurt, mixed with 1/2 c water
2 c frozen fruit

Okay, I say frozen fruit, because 1. The berries don't break down near as bad if they're frozen and 2. You can use Strawberries (not my favorite for this recipe, but you can, juts dice them up small.) and you can use Raspberries (Soooo good. Like very delicious.  Intoxicating, I tell you!)

But my favorite is the Blueberry and Raspberry combo.  It's truly the best.  But you can do jsut one berry or all three.  And you can use fresh berries. The trick is to add them LAST of all and to gently mix them in with a wooden spoon or even just into the individual muffins and stir it around in the pan just before baking, but whatever you do will be fine.  Some people like their berries all smashed and mixed in to their muffins.

Beat your eggs with a fork first.  You don't have to pack your brown sugar, but I pack it in lightly.Other than that, mix it all up and bake 'em.
Raw Sugar. Pretty, isn't it?

If you want a fancy crumble topping, it's worth the extra work.  Buy yourself some raw sugar if you don't have any on hand. 
 I got mine in bulk at WinCo.   

Also make this:

Crumb Topping:
1/2 c Sugar


1/3 c Flour
1/4 C butter, cubed

To make this, keep your butter slightly cool, so pull it outta the fridge 30 minute before you need it.  Cut it up small and then mix it with a beater or in your Kitchenaide until it make a fine crumple.  Put some on top of your muffin before baking, and then add some of that raw sugar you got yourself.



It'll take your muffin from yummy to Awesome.

I also think these muffins taste better on Day 2.  And I'll warn you, just like any berry muffin, you gotta wait for them to cool a bit before you try to peel the liner away.  If not, you'll loose half your muffin to the liner.  Which is fine, I guess, if you like to lick liners clean.

Crumble will look like this when you're done beating it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHEWY COCONUT COOKIES

Quik 'n EZ Breadsticks

Sugar Cookie Bars